Friday, February 6, 2015

Week 5 Readings: Pedagogy

Based on the readings, explain what you find to be the most potent concepts that can be transferred into your own teaching practices and why.

When I think about pedagogy there are many things that enter my mind; curriculum, units, education, and concepts to name a few.  So what is “pedagogy” and how is it changing our educational world?  Tony Bates looks at that question in the article, New Pedagogy Emerging. The article addresses areas of education, more simply, what drives the development of a new pedagogy?  How pedagogy changes in society and student expectations through technology.

There are many hurdles to overcome when talking about pedagogy.  The main challenge is stated by  Tony Bates, “how to find, analyze, evaluate, and apply knowledge as it constantly shifts and grows”.  Students now are required to critically think on their own independent level.  Not only that, but they also have correlate the relevant information through technology and other software across disciplines!  The text states, "pedagogy means developing students with the skills to manage their own learning throughout life, so they can continue to learn after graduation”.  The "new student expectations" are set high and we as teachers need to prepare them the best we can.  So how can we do that?  The readings and videos gave some great examples of how we can prepare our students.  Some examples include:

  1. Actively engage students in a fun and creative way
  2. Allow a connection so the students can see the relevance of their learning to the real world
  3. Use new technology such as blogs, wikis and social media, and mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets
  4. Empower learners
  5. Innovation
As a teacher I looked deeper into my classroom.  Do I prepare my students enough and if not what can I take from the readings to help my students become more competent?  The following are areas I believe can be improved through my teaching:

1. Blended learning: I am a part of a blended learning committee and therefore have an expectation to continue the learning home with the students as a ‘flipped’ classroom. When I think about this concepts it scares me.  Mainly because student grades are not based as heavily on homework as it used to be.  With that said, will more students be willing to involve themselves in a flipped classroom when technology is introduced?  Could I be using the wrong information to portray to my students? These are all questions I do not have the answers to other than to continue to try new ideas and concepts.

2. Use of multimedia and open education resources: Our school uses many YouTube clips as well as TED talks. The students can now access the information with their school issued tablets or smartphones through our new BYOD policy.  It is a concept I would like to use more in my classroom.  I would like to have my students develop YouTube video clips of various exercises.  The exercises can be in the weight room, pool, or even the gymnasium.  I believe if my students are capable of producing these video clips, they can be used for future reference.  I also believe my current students would like to view/share the videos if they were of their peers.

3. Increased learner control, choice, and independence: Unfortunately, this is a concept I would like to become better at. Exploration and independence is a hard thing for teachers to let go of.  However, when given control, the students appear to "step up to the plate" and prove they are capable of the task at hand.  I have tried to take a step back and become a facilitator in a couple of my classes.  I do believe this does not work with all classes.  Due to simple maturity, some of my classes would not do well with independent learning.  I believe this has a direct connection with a lack of creativity and exploration as a child. 

4. Anywhere, anytime, any size learning: Anytime learning can be a great experience.  Our school provides students with an online program called Odyssey Ware. This online class provides students with the ability to work from anywhere at their own pace.  It allows learners a great opportunity to "catch up" or even get ahead in the classroom setting.  

5. New forms of assessment: Our school, as well as many others are starting to adopt the idea of e-portfolios and peer assessments.  As a school, we have talked about requiring our students to develop a portfolio for a graduation requirement.  Personally I think it is a great concept.  I believe this is a good concept because once the students leave high school they are able to not only collect information they have used throughout high school but also reflect on their learning.  

Resources:

  1. A New Pedagogy is Emerging... and Online Learning is a Key Contributing Factor. (n.d.). Retrieved February 1, 2015.
  2. Grant wiggins-Understanding by Design 1& 2 (Videos)

No comments:

Post a Comment