Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Week 7: Pirate Teaching

What instructional and pedagogical opportunities are out there to build student voice, choice, and agency? How will you create learning experiences for your unique learners?

Displaying FullSizeRender.jpg     This past week we watched two videos about how to "teach like a pirate".  I started with the question, what does it mean to teach like a pirate?  In the first video, the group discussion talked about being creative when teaching. Taking a step back from the traditional classroom setting and allowing the students to integrate their our creative juices. I started to think about how I allow my students to be creative.  Sure, all teachers have projects to allow their students to be creative but why can't we do more?  From this point on my goal as a teacher is to allow my students to start thinking outside of the box.  Be creative and embrace the ideas of leadership.  Simple activities such as the following picture can help students look at things a little differently.  At first my students looked at the picture and was very confused.  After a couple activities similar to this one my students started to think outside the box and develop their creative ideas.  Slowly, the creativity poured over into our curriculum projects.  It is a work in progress but one worth striving for.   The video also stated "it isn't about engaging your students in what you are talking about but bringing your material into things they are already engaged in."  I think it might be a challenge to incorporate this statement into my classroom each day but one that is feasible.  Right now my students are very engaged with social media and music.  I would like to integrate a song production project into my next unit. Having the students develop a song can also help them study the for the unit exam.  

     The second video concepts were similar to video one. The hangout discussed how the lessons we teach should be similar to games.  the aspect of fun should be evident in everything we teach.  The author of "Teach like a Pirate" also referenced  Malcum X, "attitude by any means necessary."  He also stated, "even though we know we know we have to be passionate, we aren't always passionate about everything we teach."  I agree with this statement.  Even as a teacher, it is sometimes difficult to be as engaged and enthusiastic with each subject we teach.  Portraying the passion is a difficult task.  As a physical education teacher I find myself struggling in certain units mainly because the units are stale.  I have been teaching the same information in the same way for a couple years.  Maybe this is why some teachers believe it is difficult to be as passionate about each subject we teach.  A way to change that is to challenge ourselves and other teachers to do more in their classroom.  Provide students opportunities to be creative and help guide them through the process.  Passing the "teaching" reins can be a rejuvenating idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment