Saturday, September 6, 2014

My Digital Learning Hub: Thoughts?


Image CC by www.wikipedia.org


The educational system is always trying to find new innovative ways to showcase information to a vast majority of our students and their parents.  My school in particular has embraced a website (maloneyhs.com) allowing teachers to post assignments, worksheets, pictures, articles and even videos from.  The students can access all their classes from one website.  At the beginning of the massive creation, we were all encourage to use the website on a regular basis.  But like older technological databases, it is slow and sometimes hard to use. So I thought, there has to be an easier way to upload information and have students react to it.

    A digital learning hub seemed like a great place to start, but what is a digital learning hub?  Can I actually use it and is it user friendly for my audience.  I started to use googlesites.  I felt it wasn’t as easy to use as I thought it would be.  But as my father states, “with every effort comes adversity and with adversity comes another opportunity.”  So I started to discuss ideas with +Amy Paskov and spoke with +Tim Flanagan and received great ideas on what a digital learning hub looks like.  They both suggested to try using wix which is what I did!

I thought to myself, ok I decided what to use as my digital learning hub now I have to decide what it is going to be used for, what elements I want to include, and who am I going to showcase it to.  The rational explanation would be my students but I think I would like to go beyond that.  I would like to design a personal learning hub on nutrition and physical activity.   Therefore, by doing so I would be able to reach not only my students but a wide variety of people interested in becoming active and eating healthy.  Once I started to think about the big picture I had so many ideas.  Here are some of the elements I would like to include on my digital learning hub:

  • Biography (reaching out to my audience and telling them who I am)
  • Research (including text and videos)
  • Healthy eating (recipes and a place where others can share their recipe ideas)
  • Let’s get active (a place to post videos and workouts for all ages)
  • A reflection section/Q&A section (where people can post comments, concerns and/or questions)
  • Get involved (showcase activities around the area for parents and the community to become active)

One of the biggest issues we have in our society is obesity.  I believe many people intend to be healthy but are not for various reasons:

  • Health
  • Money
  • Location
  • Work
  • Society
  • Surroundings
  • Safety
  • Accommodations

So I know what you are thinking, how are you going to include all this information in your hub?   I would include digital elements such as Lose it!, My Fitness Pal, government articles and map my workout applications.  All these applications would be paired with articles to demonstrate the correlation of exercise when it is paired with healthy eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment