Sunday, October 19, 2014

Online Reading Comprehension Response-7720

     Many people read for different reasons.  We read for pleasure in some cases and in other cases, we read for information.  We all learn in different ways and therefore we all read differently.  When I first started to think about Module 3, I couldn't help but think of a professional development day last year.  The professional development day involved speed reading.  For those who do not know what speed reading is, it is having the ability to group words together and skim the material in hopes to understand it.  Although skipping words, speed reading allows people to look quickly at work and skim the responses.  If speed reading involves skimming the words is it truly reading? Should teachers consider this a tool? However, like various other types of reading, speed reading is a type of reading.  Many of professionals at our school argued, can speed reading give us the ability to comprehend what we were reading?  My answer would be, it depends on what I am reading.  If I am reading for information or critiquing a student's work, speed reading would not be an option for me.  If I was flipping through my monthly magazine of Bon Appetit I could use speed reading.  The reading is for pleasure and not required to critically analyze the information.
     This brings me to my next point, does what I am reading influence how I should read it?  I agree with this statement.  I believe depending on what your purpose for reading is depends on your reading style and skills.  For example, on the SAT's, a student will read more critically then a homework assignment.  Why?  The purpose of the reading is different.  In one situation the student has a certain amount of time to read the information.  Based on the information presented they need to recall facts and materials presented.  In contrast, with a homework assignment the student has time after school to be able to read the material and use it to answer questions.  They also might have the ability to talk with their classmates if they do not understand a section of the homework.
     Education now is starting to make a strong transition to digital text.  I will have to admit, I am the type of person who would rather read a printed item then a digital texts.  It is familiar and I have the ability to hold the material in my hand.  To me, there is a big difference in holding a piece of material and looking at it online.  I feel my ability to comprehend the material is easier when it is in print.  I can take notes on the side, highlight sections, put sticky notes on the side and various other strategies my teacher taught us when I was younger.  But these strategies are just that, strategies.  Ways to enhance our reading comprehension.  Would reading online be the same if we were taught similar tools and strategies?
    To my students I do believe there is a difference in reading material perception.  To them a book is not as desirable as a computer based print.  They are capable of this because I feel they have grown up with technology as an essential piece to function in society.  Think about it, what would we do if we didn't have instant access to infinite games, magazines, movies, games, articles and much more from our devices.  Our lives stem around digital text but for some reason to me, the paperback written word is easier to comprehend and read deeper.
     So how can I apply this reading comprehension to my students?  To answer this question I would like to take a look at the New Literacies literature article.  The article discussed various ways reading comprehension has changed when looking at the traditional reading and digital text. The article stated the following:
  • The Internet is this generation’s defining technology for literacy and learning within our global community.
  • The Internet and related technologies require additional new literacies to fully access their potential.
  • New literacies are deictic
  • New literacies are multiple, multimodal, and multifaceted
  • Critical literacies are central to new literacies
  • New forms of strategic knowledge are required with new literacies
  • New social practices are a central element of New Literacies
  • Teachers become more important, though their role changes, within new literacy classrooms
     One section that struck me was the third to last and the last bullet.  New forms of strategic knowledge need to be required.  Although the text may be the same, reading from a paperback and reading on the computer may seem like two different types of reading. To some the words may blur together when reading on the internet.  I believe this is so because we do so many things using the internet so our distraction is higher.  We use the devices to look up material, play games, talk with friends and various other things therefore even though we may not use these sources when reading, the subconscious thought is still present.  Also, if it isn't on our mind I am sure there is a pop up or advertisement that can help a student or myself get off track from the material itself.  In contrast, when reading a book we specifically need to concentrate on the book itself. There is no other use for the book or reading material other than the comprehension of the words.
    The second article I would like to glance at is the chart from Strategies of Online Reading Comprehension.  The chart is seen below:
Traditional reading
(in school)
Online reading
Texts are mostly narrative (e.g. novels, short stories, plays, poems).Texts are mostly informational.
Reading takes place mostly in whole-class or small group reading activities; readers can be grouped together by level.Reading is more individualized, often with one student at one computer.
Writers/sources are typically deemed authoritative by virtue of being published.Because it’s easy for anyone to publish online, authority of information typically merits more evaluation.
Information typically consists only of text, sometimes with images.Hyperlinks, images, audio, and video are usually part of the reading experience.
Information typically flows sequentially (from the first word of the book to the last).Information can flow non-sequentially (one word might lead via hyperlink to an entire new piece of reading).
Reading is focused on one page at a time — choice of the reader is limited.Reading can be interactive (reader response possibilities, potentially limitless decisions about where to go with the text, etc.).
Chart CC from New Literacies

     This chart is an outstanding outline of what traditional school like reading is compared to those on the internet.  As you can see there are many differences in the two forms of reading.  I believe it is our responsibility as teachers to introduce more reading comprehension to students as digital text.  The article also talked about readability. I have not used readability but from what I have read it seems like a great tool to help close the gap between traditional reading and digital text.  I have used Newsela a great deal in my class.  Newsela is has digital text where students cannot only research various topics but can answer questions on the article they read.  I also enjoy Newsela because I can develop or research articles myself based on a specific topic and correlate the reading based on each students comprehension level.  This means I will be able to have my lower learners read the same article as my higher order thinking students.
     I believe there are various ways teachers can incorporate reading comprehension in our classrooms. I believe the most important piece of teaching reading comprehension to our students is give them a clear objective.  It is important the students understand what and why they are reading an article.  I also believe teaching students to properly take notes based on the material is an essential piece of reading comprehension.  The SBAC is a new test allowing student's to take an assessment online with the use of digital tools.  They have the ability to use digital sticky notes, dictionary, highlighting and other tools to help the students comprehend the material easier.  Even though the strategic methods used are old, because they are digital it is essential for teachers to help students adjust.  Once the strategies are taught to the students their ability to read, comprehend and distinguish between the important and less important information will only increase and in turn making each student more successful when reading.  

Resources:
  • Alvermann, D. (n.d.). New Literacies: A Dual-Level Theory of the Changing Nature of Literacy, Instruction, and Assessment. In Theoretical models and processes of reading (Sixth ed., p. Chapter 42, page 1158).
  • Hodgson, K. (n.d.). Strategies for online reading comprehension. Retrieved October 15, 2014, from http://www.learnnc.org/lp/pages/6958

No comments:

Post a Comment