Saturday, January 24, 2015

Week 3: LMS Response

How well does this LMS (Learning Management Systems) support you and your learning style? How could it be improved?




     LMS is a new term for me.  In July 2014, I started an adventure in technology.  Within that time period I have learned many things to help enhance my classroom setting. In my Distance Learning class we read the article, "What are Learning Management Systems, What are They Not, and What Should They Become?". The title alone frightened me because it was terms I was not extremely familiar with like others may be.  In the readings this week our program has not fit the mold of what was define as a LMS.  As stated in the reading this week, "An LMS is the and manages instructional content, identifies and assesses individual and organizational learning or training goals, tracks the progress towards meeting those goals, and collects and presents data for supervising the learning process of an organization as a whole".  Although the instructional content and management is evident in the program I do feel there are some areas that are lacking. 


     For example, one area I feel I am lacking with Google+ and the use of communities is the low amount of specific feedback on my work. But then again, is this the way we are heading when it comes to technology?  Our program is based around "playing" with tools and guided instruction.  To me, the word student is someone who submits their work and the teacher provides specific feedback on rubrics.  I would not be telling the truth if I said I wasn't nervous about my grade in some of the classes. Was I supposed to integrate more technology? Should I have went into more detail? Am I even in the right ballpark?  Again, is this the way society wants education to evolve into.  A student directed and student paced curriculum? I still feel when I receive a reminder on my phone stating someone else posted to the community my anxiety starts to fly.  Another area I feel uneasy with is the amount of information scattered on the G+ community.  Although I feel comfortable with the explanations of each assignment it does get slightly cluttered when looking at the community posts.


     I do feel the program has helped ease my fears about technology in the classroom more than it has created them.  I am a very hands on person and also like to try new things.  The ability to be able to look at different forms of LMS such as G+, Google forms and communities has helped me understand how to facilitate a digital classroom environment better.


Image CC from www.absorblms.com







No comments:

Post a Comment