Friday, January 30, 2015

Week 4: Response on Chapters 2 and 3



Silvia Tolisano's chapter refers to building personal learning networks (PLN). Discuss some of the resources from the two chapters this week.  Even if you don't have any personal experience with some of them, which are you interested in trying?  Consider online global programs, wikis, global books, films, television shows, blogs, and news outlets that may be used in schools.  


As a physical educator, I find it difficult sometimes to integrate technology into my classroom.  My classroom is a place of active movement. Before this class I knew technology could be a tool to use but did not embrace it as much as I do now.  Mainly because I was unaware of so many different ideas and things I could do in my classroom.  One thing my district does to incorporate some ideas stated in Edutopia article are Learning Walks.  We have been using learning walks for almost two years.  The purpose of each walk is not to evaluate a teacher but to look at the area of need (school wide) and give suggestions on ways to improve it.  It was interesting to read what other districts do with learning walks in their school systems.


In chapters 2 and 3 in the Mastering Global Literacy book, many creative ways to integrate technology in a various amount of disciplines were discussed.  The chapters stated that global connectedness deals with the following areas:
  • raising awareness
  • making commitment
  • developing your competence with contemporary tools
  • building your PLN
  • amplifying your curriculum
           I started to think about my classroom as well as how I could tweak the suggestions in the book to meet the needs of my students and curriculum. One area that really caught my eye was watching a TV program with a global perspective. In both physical education and health it is easy to find videos, shows or articles relating to the same areas we discuss here.  I started to think about how to take it one step further in my classroom.  I also teach personal fitness.  I feel it would be a great opportunity to "walk a day in someone else's shoes" in the class.  What do various people around the world do for exercise? Are they required to walk to school, work, or their home?  How does their "steps" compare to my students?  I also really enjoyed +Stephanie Lavado's idea of using pedometers to measure steps.  She discussed walking to Disney with her students.  Maybe my high school students could not only incorporate technology through mapping their steps but also integrate a cross curricular lesson.  For example, discuss the activity with their history teachers and integrate it into where we are walking.
          Another idea I found useful in my classroom was to incorporate global news.  I believe this would be a great "warm up" activity for my health students.  It would only take a couple minutes and we could look at global news articles relating to the concepts we are talking about in class. Some of these concepts would include self-esteem, bullying, health and wellness as well as other areas of health.  Not only can we connect our discussion on a global level but it will fit nicely with our class flow.
 
          The two chapters also discussed Skype, twitter, google apps, and wiki into the classroom.  I do not have much familiarity with wiki as I do the other programs discussed. Since being a part of the #itdml program, I have tried to use google apps more in my classroom.  Now, my students frequently use google as a tool to hand in assignments, take notes and share items with other students.  I believe because I am more comfortable with technology, it is easier to embrace it into my classroom.
 
          There are many things I can do to incorporate more global awareness in my classroom.   Join an established group or create a new project/activity of my own are only a few ideas Mastering Global Literacy has brought to my attention.  Student blogging and an international sports day are great ways to incorporate global connectivsm in my Physical Education/Health classroom.  During the international sports day, the chapter suggested students would perform an activity and upload videos, times, scores and even rules. The students would then connect with others around the globe and "learn" from each other.  As stated in chapter 3, "we live in a world that is easily accessible, if not face-to-face then at least virtually" (pg. 64).  Therefore, learning is able to take place anytime and anywhere.
 
Resources:
 
Alcock, M., & Jacobs, H. (n.d.). Mastering digital literacy.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment