Tuesday, June 16, 2015

AT Request to Springfield College

Dear Vicki Anderson,
My name is Cari McKee.  I am a prospective student who will be attending Springfield College in the Fall 2015.  I am writing to you because I have difficulty in the classroom setting due to a disability and would like to request assistive technology to ensure my success in your program.   I lost my sight when I was four years old and have been receiving assistance throughout my schooling.
Some of the programs that have assisted me previously are speech recognition programs.  I have used various programs throughout my education.  One program that worked well for me is ViaVoice and taped text.  I understand you currently have a speech recognition program called Dragon Naturally-Speaking.  I would like to request the use of the program to help with my academic performance.  Taped text would also help benefit my success at Springfield College because it will allow me to tape and replay the information for later use.  Currently, I have difficulty comprehending material due to my disability and value to ability to tape the class material to use for later.  Speech recognition software such as taped text and Dragon Naturally-Speaking would assist me with replaying information.
I am also aware you have an adaptive sports program at your school.  I understand your university values the development of the whole person with mind body and spirit development.  Based on your values, I strongly believe getting involved in the adaptive sports program can allow me to grow through the academics but also develop as a whole.  Some low tech assistive technology I have used in the past are bells to help me recognize the direction of the task.  For example, in a throwing activity, a simple bell can help direct me to where the ball needs to be thrown.  
I am thankful for your consideration with helping me receive the proper assistive technology necessary for my success at your institution.  I look forward to hearing from you and attending your program in the Fall.
Sincerely,


Cari McKee
Class of 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment