Monday, June 15, 2015

Survey with a Special Education Teacher

Interview with a Special Education Teacher
7724- Week 11


I decided to interview one of the special education teachers in my school.  Although a little bitter, I believe she has every right to be.  Unfortunately, in our school we are expected to implement technology as well as assistive technology without formal training. I was very surprised with the response shown below because the special education teacher should be the one receiving formal training.


1:  How often do you use Low-tech assistive technology such as pencil grips, highlighters, etc.
  • Daily
  • 3-4 times/week
  • 1-2 times/week
  • Less than once a week
  • never


2:  How often do you use High-tech assistive technology such as audio-books, speech-to-text, screen-reader, etc…
  • Daily
  • 3-4 times/week
  • 1-2 times/week
  • Less than once a week
  • never


3:  Is the Low-tech assistive technology that you have used effective, in your opinion?
yes
  • sometimes
  • no
  • n/a


4:  Is the High-tech assistive technology that you have used effective, in your opinion?
  • yes
  • sometimes
  • Definitely not
  • n/a


5:  What are some factors that hinder the use of assistive technology, in your opinion?
I do not use assistive technology as much as I should because I have not received any training on it. Although we have some of these tools in my classroom I was not shown how to truly use them nor have I been given the time to “play” with them.  How am I expected to use something I am completely unfamiliar with? I use items that have been working for years and I am comfortable with.


6:  What are some factors that facilitate/encourage the use of assistive technology, in your opinion?
Support.  Support is a huge factor that can either help or hinder the implementation of assistive technology in teachers classrooms.  In my case, I do not use it as often because I am uncomfortable with it.  Other teachers I know use technology much more in their classroom because they have the background knowledge of it or they are given time during their department meetings to play with the product.  During our department meetings we discuss issues and are given time to work on our paperwork, not play with programs.


7:  What training, if any have you had on various High/Low tech devices and/or different ways to utilize those devices?
Image CC from www.clker.com
Unfortunately, that is the problem.  I have been shown how to use Google Classroom, and the Google products because that is the type of school we are.  I also use my smart board frequently.  In regards to high tech resources to help my students, I have not received any formal training.  I think my students suffer because of it.


Flanagan’s article states, “Teachers’ use and understanding of AT may increase when effective instruction is provided during pre service preparation or professional developments.”  Unfortunately the teacher I interviewed did not have effective instruction because she believed it was unattainable without proper training.  The article does state a barrier to using assistive technology due to lack of knowledge and types of devices. After reading the article, I believe the ideas of the person I interviewed are similar to those described.  Both the article and the special education teacher pointed out some downfalls of why people choose not/can not use assistive technology in the classrooms.  Both the article and special education teacher stated support was needed in order to effectively use assistive technology in classrooms.  They also stated how the support needs to come not only from the parents, students, and teachers but also from the administrative staff.


Resources:
  1. Flanagan, S., Bouck, E., & Richardson, J. (n.d.). Middle School Special Education Teachers’ Perceptions and Use of Assistive Technology in Literacy Instruction. Assistive Technology, 24-30.  
  2. Lindsey-Glenn, P. F., & Gentry, J. E. (2008). Improving vocabulary skills through assistive technology: Rick’s story. TEACHING Exceptional Children Plus, 5(2) Article 1. Retrieved [date] from http://escholarship.bc.edu/education/tecplus/vol5/iss2/art1

No comments:

Post a Comment