Tuesday, July 7, 2015

21st Century Philosophy Statement

21st Century Philosophy Statement:

July of 2014 I was asked to write my teaching philosophy for an #itdml assignment.  At that time I was set in my ways and did not intend to change my philosophy.  Little to my lack of understanding, my philosophy had changed and therefore I have learned my first lesson based on this program "be open to change".  So what is my teaching philosophy now?  I believe the better question would be, what is my new teaching philosophy for the 21st century learner?  The 21st century learner has provided schools and teachers with dramatic transformations in the classroom.  Pens and pencils are consider a low tech assistive technology and computers are a source for a flipped lesson.  The classroom is constantly changing and technology is becoming a norm.  Technology is now seen as an priority and can help enhance our classrooms with new innovative ways to teach the information.  Not only can technology bring our learners into the content, it allows the learners to learn anywhere, at anytime from anyone. Scary, yes I know, however; when implemented correctly can positively prepare our students to be successful in the ever changing world. I believe teachers should provide their classrooms with opportunities to be successful through creation and exploration.  The classroom is a setting to allow students to question, engage, synthesize, and elaborate.  I believe all students are capable of learning but not all content can be taught the same.  Once students are given the educational tools, all students are capable of completing amazing tasks.  My classroom must be safe place for all learners to expand their knowledge. The classroom is a place to foster a hunger for learning.  Technology can be an important tool but should not replace the future of education.  I do believe a quality education is a privilege, what you do with it is a choice.  Lastly, if a teacher can be replaced by YouTube, they should.  Identifying needs of my students on a personal level is a necessary part on the journey of education and should never be replaced.

No comments:

Post a Comment