Friday, March 13, 2015

Week 10 Response

In what ways have you found resources that will help you as a professional become responsive to the global needs of your students?

During this program I have been introduced to many resources I can use in my professional life.  Not only in this class, but also many other classes in this program have opened my eyes to items I would not have found on my own.

My Global Literacy class in particular, I really enjoyed looking into the iearn website.  The website opened my eyes to various, already established, programs with the one essential objective in mind, connecting people and classrooms all across the world.  When looking at the iearn website, I really enjoyed the dancing programs they have.  As a physical education teacher I feel this program can help connect my students to various students around the world. 

Not only was the iearn program beneficial, I also found the micro talks beneficial.  I am currently in a blended learning committee.  Within the committee we have to become familiar and develop programs to share with our school. The micro talks have provided myself with an overwhelming amount of information to help share with my peers.  Lastly, the most beneficial resource I have found during this program was my peers.  After a little under a year I have gotten to know and develop friendships with professionals, knowledgeable in technology. 

How is your school culturally responsive to the needs of your students? How can you help broaden students’ world view?

My school culturally responds to the needs of my students through various ways.  Much like any other school system there are always avenues of improvement but ultimately our school provides my students with a healthy and safe environment to learn.  Within this environment they also provide opportunities for our students to connect to sister schools.  One area I believe should be broadened is our expansion among the world rather than neighboring towns. Much like what the article stated, “We hope to share pedagogical ideas with our international counterparts, to develop some classroom exchanges and projects, and to form one or two new "sister school" relationships.”  I would like to see the same happen in our school.

What additional resources do you need to support your students into becoming globally literate?
           
            I believe our school needs to continue to enhance our professional resources through development programs.  I also believe we can continue to enhance our learning by providing an opportunity to allow “experts” to form.  For example, the blended learning committee provides our school with opportunities to connect with technology and hopefully on a global level.  Without the knowledge, many teachers may not have the opportunity to become familiar with these programs. 

            Another resource our school can adopt is a program to reward teachers and students when they connect with sister schools around the globe.  For example, I would like to see a program develop that researches, connects and share with the community various topics around the world.  The teacher and students can provide this information to the community through a showcase event. 

1 comment:

  1. Cari, if you want to be connected with a sister school, please let me know. I'll put you in touch with someone who can arrange it. Just be sure to check with your administration as they need to be on-board with the plan moving forward!

    ReplyDelete