Saturday, March 28, 2015

Week 12 Discussion Response

What do you think about iNACOL’s New Learning Models Vision? Are there limitations or disadvantages to such an approach? Is it feasible? Do you find that there are advantages for you as you create your own environments?

After reading the iNACOL's New Learning Models Vision article I believe this is the direction education is intending to go. The article states, " The student is at the center with each element supporting their individual learning." Most of my classroom lessons are geared towards a student centered learning approach. As a state requirement, teachers are being evaluated on the student centered classroom.  

The TPAC approach pairs student centered learning with blended learning. This provides students with an equal platform to learn. TPAC (Technology Platforms, People/Pedagogy, Assessment, and Online Content) aligns schools with a blended learning environment paired with the common core state standards. The model provides students with the following criteria:

  • Personalized
  • Student Centered
  • Accessible to All
  • Higher Achievement and Higher Standards
  • Technology Enhanced
  • Affordable and Sustainable
  • Flexible Staffing

Although I see great value in this model, I also see some flaws. Although I believe blended learning is a beneficial component, I do believe it is not the only component. I believe relationships are extremely important to have in the classroom. Another flaw I see in the system is accessible to all. Not all schools and communities have the opportunity to provide the necessary resources to the schools. For example, teachers need to be educated on how to use certain programs as well as the students. Not only is there a lack of education, but the students may not have the resources at home. For example, my classroom consists of many different types of students. Some students are wealthy and some are not. Some of my students have access to more information and resources at home while my other students go to work and/or do not have access at home.

In theory I do believe this model is where education is heading and I do not think it is a bad thing. I do feel we need to be open minded when we look at models such as this one. There can and will be many hardships during the process. The important thing to remember is the ultimate goal, are my students led to learn? If the answer is yes, as a teacher I feel we are doing a good job.

Resources:



No comments:

Post a Comment