Friday, August 15, 2014

My Final Network Learning Project- Homemade Pierogi's!!!

At the beginning of the ITDML program I decided to venture on a journey to make homemade pierogi's.  A month ago it seemed virtually impossible.  Pierogi's were something I could get out of a bag and make things a lot easier.  But after hours of research and many taste test later I found a recipe and the confidence I needed to accomplish the task.  Even during the final taping I had some complications but this is exactly why they call it homemade!  I knew it would take a little while to make the mashed potatoes, and dough on camera so I took these photos to demonstrate the process.  I used the following ingredients for the dough. 
The ingredients are:
Dough
  • Flour
  • Sour Cream
  • Egg
  • Salt
  • Water


Filling

 The Mashed Potato Filling:
Potatoes
Cream
Filling
Salt
Pepper
Butter
Cream
Sour Cream

 

Next I rolled out the dough and cut the dough into about 2 x 2 inch squares.  I filled the square with the filling and put an egg wash on the dough to make the sides stick.  I learned if I didn't "glue" the sides all the filling would spill out into the boiling water. 
Adding Egg Wash to the Sides



After the pierogi's were made I put them into a pot of boiling water.  Once cooked (about 3-5 minutes) I transferred the pierogi's into a pan with sautéed onions.  I served the pierogi's with sour cream, scallions and chives. 

 



I cannot believe I did it and they finally came out great! I hope you enjoyed taking this journey with me!  Learning online was not only easy but fun too.  I wasn't afraid to "mess up" but enjoyed researching the different ways to make pierogi's.  I didn't realize online learning was so easy and convenient.  I will definitely encourage my students to try to learn online through videos, tutorials, and discussions.  Even uploading the video I needed to research how to change the file from movie maker to a compatible file for YouTube! I am extremely glad I learned something new and even more excited because now I gained the confidence to use the internet for solving problems or learning new tasks. Hmm...what is next?

No comments:

Post a Comment