Thursday, August 14, 2014

Response to Connected Learning Principles

The article Connected Learning Principles discussed how connected learning should follow three principals:
  • Interest-powered – Individual have an interest or liking to the topic and therefore are seeking knowledge about it. 
  • Peer-supported – Shared feedback can be a powerful tool and can help enhance the education of a person.
  • Academically oriented – Not only should the learning have academic relevance but also provide growth to individuals.
The article also stated that connected learning is "real-world. It’s social. It’s hands-on. It’s active. It’s networked. It’s personal. It’s effective." This statement reminded me of student engagement. In my school as well as others, many teachers struggle with students engagement.  Our periods are only 45 minutes long compared to other schools with blocked scheduling.  Based on this article and others I have read during the ITDML curriculum, I think by using different techniques and technology into the classroom more students will become engaged in the subject.  One hurdle I believe I will face is control.  Control of being right, having one way to do things and one avenue to get there.  My focus needs to stray from that and concentrate more on the end result.  Are the students actually learning what I want them to learn?  Once I can get past that hurdle, I believe the students will be more engaged and feel like they are in charge of their own learning. Not only can students learn from each other but I'm sure I will learn something as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment