Thursday, August 14, 2014

So What Now???


There are many different digital literacies that can affect teaching and learning.  I am extremely happy to be a part of the ITDML program because it has calmed my fears that most educators have about technology.  Technology is continuingly moving forward and will be heavily a part of the classroom if it isn't already.  The overall push for technology in the classroom has become more present in the past couple years.  As a physical education teacher there are many applications, programs, and ideas I will remember when moving forward to life after ITDML.  For example, Newsela is a great program I would be able to use during my classes.  Newsela is a database with a variety of articles.  Based on the student’s ability various articles on the same topic can be generated.  Not only have I found programs like Newsela, but there are also applications that can help enhance the classroom setting.  Glogster, skitch, and screencast are only a few I can use in my classroom. With all the excitement revolving around technology there is also a lot of fear and disposition.  I think to ease teachers thoughts about integrating technology in the classroom is it is not going anywhere.  It’s true, technology has proven improvement in student achievement.  The quicker some teachers understand this the easier it might be for them.  Also, teachers need to understand not everything is perfect.  Technology may not work all the time, items may not transfer well from program to program and much more.  Patience is another key to remember when integrating technology into your classroom.  Lastly, I believe the biggest problem is loss of control and fear.  When using technology there is a great deal of fear that pairs with it.  Will it work?  Am I using the application right? Can I understand it?  All those questions have answers, yes.  Once an educator accepts the challenge to educate their students the best they can, technology should be integrated.  Our students use technology all the time outside of school.  Having the ability to communicate with our students outside of school can not only improve our students scores but also have the students be excited to do work are the ultimate goals.  If technology can take us one step forward to our goal then I believe we all should embrace it.    

No comments:

Post a Comment